Saturday 21 March 2009

The Charismatic Renewal-where should it go from here?

I am a christian- that is how I would want to identify and label myself- nothing more, or less.I am from a Pentecostal and Charismatic background and live in London. Many years ago, I was saved and experienced the baptism of the Holy Spirit.I have experienced the power of the Holy Spirit and the anointing of God on preaching. I believe that the gifts of the Spirit are relevant and needed today. I spent long years in a pentecostal church and was saved in a charismatic Anglican one.
Like many people, from such a background, I find myself desperately concerned about the present state of the church. I have started this blog out of that concern, hoping to meet like minded people-from anywhere, but London would be great! Or the UK. But all welcome, from anywhere.
I am not interested in attacking anyone, nor do I have all the answers. I'm hoping to find a few more of the answers, from other people. But some of the things going on in the name of the Charismatic movement seem to be dangerous, or even blasphemous. That grieves me, because I have recieved so much from spirit-filled ministries in the past. I don't understand why the leaders of the church, many of whom I respect, are not speaking out about "the new mystics". So much good came out of Charismatic Christianity-if the false prophecy is not challenged, if the hype and irreverance is not addressed, I think that is in danger of being lost. Given over to deception.
My feeling has been, for many years, before Toronto, before Lakeland, that there were aspects of true Christianity that the charismatic movement did not address - the fear of the Lord, which is the beginning of wisdom, was lacking. The sense of the seriousness of claiming to speak in Gods name. The importance of the name of the Lord Jesus Christ.Then it seemed that charismatic became more of a style- drums and guitars, not wrong in itself, but meaning less and less. Now, elements of real foolishness and deception seem to be coming in.
I praise God for every ministry that is not like that. One that has particularly blessed me is David Wilkerson and Carter Conlon at Times Square Church, New York. But that is a long way from here! (Though praise God for internet, do check out their amazing messages which are available online.)
So as this blog develops I hope to look more at what is needed for true Chrisitian revival. What was lacking in the charismatic movement? Where can I persoanlly go from here? What did true revival look like in the past. These are issues I have thought, read and prayed about for years. This is the first time that I have ever tried to write about them-please forgive the rather rambling nature of this first attempt. And please excuse me as I try to get to grips with any technology involved.
Thank you so much for reading this first post, it is much appreciated. This has happenend quite spontaneously- I hope it will lead me and maybe other people closer to God and obedience to Him. And into true revival. God bless you.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Matt
    I am a Pastor and revivalist at heart... my delight is the moving of the Holy Spirit and the process in which God gets the attention of real seekers. I hear your heart in this post and can relate to the concern, yet you must realize that the overwhelming feeling among those who call themselves Christian is frustration. The Western, American church has developed a culture that is stuffy and religious... or its New Age and Mystical... or its overly marketed and consumer driven. The average person seeking God today are looking for spiritual experiences, rather than more knowledge. We have so overly preached and taught about sin (not to say it should be ignored) that today we have a generation of seekers who are looking for God to be fun, embracing and light-hearted. Its like we have engaged in some kind of re-inventing process that hopes the real Jesus will be more like us. My personal opinion is that we will move beyond the hype and emerge a better group of seekers when we truly teach our folks how to pray and have personal relationship with God. It seems to me that most of the Christian World needs to become aware of the fact that we are to live in a partnership with the person of the Holy Spirit. We must not quench, blaspheme, or resist the Spirit if we desire to have real experiences with God. I have heard so much about being decent and in order, yet I have become aware of the fact that only God should define what that looks like. I have seen so much abuse of love in church and we never tell our people to stop loving one another because it is a command of God. Well it is also the command of God that we be filled with the Holy Spirit and that sometimes the outward display of that fullness will be evident and uncomfortable to the religious. I do not want to promote goofiness but I do believe we must stop looking for God to live in our perceived boxes. Thanks for the opportunity to share my thoughts... if it helps great (more on revivalhut.com) but if not just keep seeking with the blessing of this brother. Ron Bateman

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ron,wise comments...I think you hit the nail on the head.Thank you for an excellent post. Any christianity lacking in prayer is always shallow...the style of that shallowness may vary, in the ways you identify-whether it be hype on the one hand,or dry religious form without real power on the other, or whatever.
    The problem is a lack of a real relationship or a shallowness in relationship with God. Matthew

    ReplyDelete